Tewksbury Hospital, originally founded in 1854 as state almshouse, is a National Register of Historic Places-listed site located in Tewksbury, MA on an 800+ acre campus. The centerpiece of the hospital campus is the 1894 Richard Morris Building.
Tewksbury Hospital operates a 370 bed Joint Commission accredited hospital. Approximately 220 complex chronic medical adult patients reside on seven (7) inpatient units and 150 psychiatric clients reside on five (5) inpatient units. A full range of ancillary services is available at the site, including 24/7 nursing, medicine, and psychiatry as well as clinical laboratory, psychology, radiology, respiratory care, speech pathology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, clinical dieticians, clinical social workers and pharmacy, and on-site dialysis clinic.
In addition to the main hospital site, the hospital campus is home to nine (9) residential vendor programs which provide services on a 24/7 basis. The residential programs consist of seven (7) substance abuse programs, serving 317 residential clients (24/7), two (2) of which serve women with children. In addition, there are two (2) locked young adolescent programs, serving approximately 30 clients daily with a compliment of 65 staff.
The hospital also provides regional space to five (5) state agencies. On any given day approximately 2,500 people enter and exit the campus to work, visit, and receive services or assistance.